Monday, May 25, 2015

Marcia - Blue Vase with Backlight

This was Open Studio Weekend for crafters & artists all around Vermont.  I visited a few studios fairly close to home on Sunday.  I was drawn to this blue vase of lilacs on a windowsill in one of the studios.  I knew that I would have to think about backlight and depth of field.  I didn't get quite what I had hoped for, but I think I did learn a few things in the process.

Blue Vase 1: ISO 200 f/5.6 at 1/200 
This was quite dark and I had to lighten it in post production

Blue Vase 2: ISO 200 f/5.6 at 1/125

Blue Vase 3: ISO 400 f/5.6 at 1/60

Blue Vase 4: ISO 400 f/5.6 at 1/100

Some observations: Looking back on these, I do not know why they were all shot at f/5.6.  I wish I had tried something else.   I think it would have been better if the vase had been at eye level rather than looking down on it. I still need to figure out how to get my camera to do manual focus.  And it was only in looking at these photos later that I realized the reflection of the blue vase on the glass tabletop was very interesting, and I wish I had included it in more of the shots.  So these are some things for me to keep in mind for next time. 


2 comments:

  1. I agree--I like the first one best with the table included, mostly for the inclusion of the blue on the table. But I hope you figure out how to change your aperture! Remember that depending on if you are zoomed in or out your possible maximum aperture changes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it just felt a little conspicuous taking photos in an artist's studio instead of looking at her paintings, even though I had asked her permission. So I wasn't thinking very clearly or I could have changed more settings. A good learning experience, though.

    ReplyDelete